Marker Splotches

Ramblings of the markers

Friday, January 19, 2007

Feminists

I know I have been posting a lot recently, and for that I apologize. But no one else has been posting and I have a few things I need to rant about, so I am going to post again.

I climbed in to bed at about 1 o'clock. I have been laying in bed for over an hour and a half unable to fall asleep because I have been thinking about things. The thing I have not been able to stop thinking about lately is feminists. I know that I was always the person who cracked a joke about feminists and when we played that game (I think it was called True Colors but I'm not sure) that Jacquelyn brought to spring break at the Ozarks, everyone voted me as the person who "secretly thinks women are the weaker sex". That was me, but I realized how much I have really changed during my hour and a half of nonsleep.

Women have had to fight so hard to get where we are today and I just feel bad because I have always taken this for granted. When I started hanging out with some guys at SLU who lived by Tom and some of my experiences at Truman made me realize there is a lot of sexism today. For instance, guys tend to assume that I am bad at video games because I am a girl. And my sister Michelle who is very athletic always complains because guys make fun of her and say she is not good at sports because she is a girl. I know these are really small examples, but they still piss me off. I can be just as good as any guy at video games even though I'm a girl and Michelle can (and has) kick many guys asses in soccer. At Truman I even experienced people who felt women were not as smart as men and that was obvious through comments they made during conversations and such. I think I am starting to realize there is a lot of work to be done because a lot of people still consider males to be superior even at the smaller things like video games and sports, and even other small things.

But, I've also been thinking a lot about pressures. Since I have come to college, especially at SLU, I have felt so much pressure to look good. It's like I won't be accepted or people will blow me off if I'm not dressed in expensive clothes or a size zero with perfect hair and makeup and nails. Everytime I turn on the TV all I see are shows where guys are using women and treating them like sex objects.

I feel like I'm starting to just fall apart under the pressure. When I have tried to talk to other people about this before (usually guys, I don't have many close female friends that I feel comfortable talking about this with because they are all so pretty and skinny) they always say there is no pressure and that I should just be myself. Well those guys just don't understand what its like to go to a club and guys are all over all your friends but not you, or to walk through the mall and your friends get hit on but you get ignored. I feel like since guys are mostly the ones to approach girls, guys won't understand the pressure women feel when they are the only ones who never get approached.

I know I've always had really low self-confidence, but like its at an all time low now because I feel like nearly everyone at SLU is SOOOO superficial. I can't make any friends by just being myself and I don't have the money and I'm not skinny enough to look and dress the way all the other girls look and dress. I wouldn't want to change myself for them anyway. Even when I have early classes and I leave in my pajamas with my hair a mess, I look at all the other girls walking around with their hair and outfits looking perfect. It's almost like none of the girls take a break from trying to look perfect. Even when they are dressed in their sweats they are still like expensive sweats from Hollister and they still have their hair fixed and makeup on and still look cute.

I just wish I would stop feeling so pressured to look good and I wish I could just once look at myself and not have to think about all the things I need to change in order to fit in and make friends. Sorry this post turned sorta depressing at the end but thats just how I'm feeling now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Aw, Hovis, I'm proud of you for becoming a feminist. As Margaret Cho said, "I think everyone should be a feminist. You're born, you should be a fucking feminist."

And I know it's very tough to appreciate yourself with all the pressures and stuff, but you should really just think about how wonderful you are, how you are beautiful, and how great it is that you're not one of those twig-girls who has totally abused her body. You are beautiful, baby!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Reine said...

Anna, thank you for always commenting on my posts. You and Miryam are the only ones who ever do and it gets lonely not having all the nice supportive comments other posts get.

7:46 PM  
Blogger porgie said...

#1 Guys are fucking assholes.
The sooner that you realize this, the sooner that you will feel sorry for them and realize that women are, in fact, the stronger sex.

#2 People at SLU are superficial.
Whether it's the overly tan sorority girl or the Sig Chi guy who wears puma from head to toe, many at slu are superficial. However, there are normal people at slu and you just have to find them.

#3 Don't watch MTV, because it embodies every that is wrong with our generation.
Date my mom, Pimp my ride, and let's not even start on the music videos. Women are projected as either sex objects that need to be banged or sluts that need to be banged. And guys, well, their the super macho ones doing the banging. You don't have to look a certain way or act a certain way to be a normal person. In fact, most of the people on MTV are abnormal, and that's not even them; most of, if not all of the shows are completely scripted and edited for superficial perfection.

I'm proud of you that you have come to these realizations. This is just part of growing up: seeing people for who they actually are instead of what they are trying to be.

GO HOVIS!!!!

ps hedgehog?

7:47 PM  
Blogger eat_this_corley said...

hovis, i was/am going to comment as soon as i have time to fully articulate what i want to say.

10:16 PM  
Blogger etepetete said...

hovis, i don't comment because I usually don't really know what to say - to most posts. Sorry, I didn't know it hurt your feelings.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Reine said...

It doesn't really hurt my feelings, but when I am feeling really down and I see that people posted nice things, it always makes me feel a lot better and its nice to have the extra support, even if it is over the internet, because I am having a hard time making close friends at SLU that I would feel comfortable talking about some things with. So it's not like it hurts my feelings but more like I just like to hear peoples thoughts or nice things to help me feel a little better.

Dai, I'm sorry I forgot to mention your name (honestly I meant to mention you), but you have always posted really nice things and thanks .

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home