Marker Splotches

Ramblings of the markers

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

If there is a Hell, I just got a little preview.

I just did an obstacle course to recertify me to go into burning building for the fire department, and it was 13 minutes and 48 seconds of absolute Hell. We had to put on all our gear (which probably weighs 20 pounds), wear the SCBA (like SCUBA, but without the "underwater", another 30 pounds), and do all this shit. We start out by carrying 50 feet of hose up three flights of steps. At the top, we bring a 40ish pound bag to the top on a rope. Then back down the steep, narrow steps with the hose. We then advance a charged line (one that already has water in it, pretty fucking heavy), and knock down a cone fire with no backup. First time I tried, the force of the water knocked me over backwards, but luckily I didn't lose control of the hose like this other guy did. Then we have to crawl on our hands and knees through a dark trailer. The next part, the worst part, is called the Keiser. It's a block on the ground between your legs that you have to move 4 feet using a 5 pound sledge hammer. I'd say it took me about 60-80 whacks to move it all the way. By then, of course, all the muscles in my hands and arms are burning, and then I had to raise and lower an extension ladder. I assume some of you have done this. Those things are pretty fucking heavy to deal with alone. After that, we drag "Rescue Randy" a 150 pound dummy, about 10-15 yards. When I finished, I literally could not swallow because my throat was so dry. While I was doing the ladder, I was full-out screaming at it and starting to cry. I was going to make some macaroni, cause I'm pretty hungry, but I don't think I could grip the spoon. I told Mike he can knock me up now, cause compared to that, labor will be noooo problem.

8 Comments:

Blogger Reine said...

Damn, thats crazy. Honestly I did not understand some of what you were saying but it does sound like hell. I guess they set up an actual fire for you guys to work with. I don't understand the point of whacking a block with a hammer but maybe its a fireman/woman thing. It says a lot that you have to go through hell but you continue to do it even though its only volunteer.

Point: You are a wonderful person who does not deserve to go to hell

12:51 AM  
Blogger Cajackster said...

third.

3:59 AM  
Blogger pipsqueak said...

The poing of the Keiser is to make sure we could get ourselves (or someone else) out if a building were to collapse, trapping someone under shit that needed whacking.

And thanks.

10:49 AM  
Blogger pipsqueak said...

*point

10:49 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

You are unbe-freaking-lievably awesome, Ohldawg. You're my hero.

12:28 PM  
Blogger etepetete said...

fourth.

7:15 PM  
Blogger maggotsparklepow said...

i think that over thanksgiving break i am going to trap myself at the top of a tall building and set it on fire and cover myself with a really heavy dummy, and make you come rescue me. and then you have to make me macaroni.

7:25 PM  
Blogger maggotsparklepow said...

yesssssssssssss.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home