Marker Splotches

Ramblings of the markers

Monday, September 25, 2006

Ramblings

Alright so first of all I wanted to clear something up. Nanglim, the only time your grade was changed based on your exam grade is if your exam grade was higher than your grade in the class. Sorry for the confusion.

Next thing I wanted to say is that I am torn between studying in Australia and China. Both would be cool. China would be a huge culture shock and would be so pretty and unlike anything I've ever experienced. However it would be hard to get around because although the classes are in English I don't know how I would handle shopping or anything like that.

I have been dying to go to Australia since I was little. Basically because of Steve Irwin, even though hes dead now. I even came so close to winning a trip through the video game (if I haven't already told everyone this story basically I tied in first place with the highest score on Pokemon Snap in America). In Australia my school would be about two blocks off the beach. I think I want to go to Australia more than I want to go to China however Tom is going to China. I know many of you will blow that off as a reason not to go to Australia but I've been talking to a couple senior girls I met and they all said that they don't really know anyone who has been able to keep a relationship after being separated from studying abroad. Any ideas on what to do?

The next problem. I really miss Truman. Well, let me explain. At Truman like I said we had free dance lessons for any kind of dance (at SLU there are NO dance lessons or anything) and we had free classes in the Rec and we had a nicer Rec Center than SLU has and the Equestrian Team at Truman was 15 dollars per semester. At SLU it will be 30 dollars per lesson and we are required to go to one lesson a month and I would have liked to go to more. There are other things too. I know I gave all these things up to come to SLU and I know you all had to hear me bitch about how much I hated Truman. I'm still glad I came to SLU but I still really do miss a lot about Truman.

I miss Bono like crazy. I didn't realize how shy I really was until I started college and was terrified to talk to anyone. But Mikey lived in 3 North too and we spent a lot of time together and I'm pretty sure he was my best friend at Truman. Also I miss Rachel. I realize now how lucky I was to have such a cool roommate. I miss all the Nerinx girls who are down at Truman also and I really miss Allyson.

I am having a really hard time making new friends at SLU. Because I came as a sophomore most people already have their group of friends so when I try and meet new people they basically blow me off. I guess they don't want new friends. I've been spending everyday with Tom. Not that I don't like being with Tom but the more time I spend with him the more he's mean and cranky to me. I hate feeling like I'm annoying him but I also hate being alone in my room. I have been really lonely recently and it's depressing. Sorry for ranting I figured since I haven't complained to Splotches yet maybe I can waste all your time talking about feeling lonely and not really fitting in or having friends.

Anyway sorry for the long kinda sad post.

8 Comments:

Blogger justsuckit said...

i don't underdstand the people who are blowing off others b/c they already have friends. my transfer friend is having the same problem as you hovis. i myself enjoy making new friends. i've already made some new friends this year. if, they are blowing you off, they aren't worth your time. i'm sure there are more people out there that like having new friends. you just gotta keep looking for 'em.

2:54 AM  
Blogger ConditSJ said...

Start smoking, you wuss.

Smokers are nice people who like having someone to talk to while they're gunning a stick. SIMPLE AS THAT. GAME OVER. QUITCHERBITCHIN.

3:19 AM  
Blogger etepetete said...

If it makes you feel any better, my sister and her boyfriend stayed together when she studied in Italy for a semester. They are now married, and have the cutest baby on the face of the earth.
I am sorry that Slu is sucking, but hey, you are only a month into school, give yourself some time to make friends.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Keegan said...

If it makes you feel any better all I'm wearing right now are my glasses and a smile...

1:07 PM  
Blogger Cajackster said...

smokers are cool...i wish i had the balls and the finances to smoke...not really...

3:46 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

If the China program is in a major city, English is probably pretty present. Specifically in stores and stuff, that wouldn't be as big of a problem because lots of tourists go to China.

That's the only useful tip I have.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

I really don't think the language barrier will make a difference if you go to China. I studied abroad in Greece last semester (as you may know) and although I only knew a few basic sentences in greek it was so easy to go places and get around. Even the friends I made on the trip who were not greek got around just perfectly. There were absolutely no problems. Many of the people in Greece spoke English and were willing to help me and others out. I think in China many people know English but I am not too sure. I would surely think that if it was in a major city like Beijjing or something many people would speak english. Take it from me who has already studied abroad........Even though you may go through culture shock, it is a true experience of a lifetime and i made so many friends that will be my friends for the rest of my life and I learned so much. So if you are worried about Chinese culture shock don't worry about it seriously. It will be something you will always remember. I personally think it would be a stronger and better educational and cultural decision to go to China rather than Australia. That is my personal opinion. And Hovis don't just go somewhere because a guy is going. That may be a plus but seriously you will make so many other friends and you might even meet some hot Chinese guy, of which i would be totally jealous because i love asians. anyways good luck with your decision and take my thoughts into conisderation.
p.s. anyone who is interested in studying abroad in greece at some point i would highly advise going through university of missouri-st.louis greece program. it was a fantastic experience. it only occurs once every other year or so.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh...

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home