Marker Splotches

Ramblings of the markers

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Bridge To Terabithia and Sad Dreams

So I wanted to start this post by talking about probably my all time favorite book, Bridge To Terabithia. It is like a fourth or fifth grade level book, but I love it so much. I have read it so many times even though I can read it in one sitting, it is still my favorite book because I've loved it for so long. Well as soon as I heard they were making it a movie I was so excited! I couldn't wait to see it. Then I saw the trailers for it and I was disappointed. The movie looks like a fairy tale, the book is nothing like that at all. The book is the story of a little boy and a little girl. I'm still going to see the movie, but I just wanted to express my disappointment.

Ok on to the second part of my post. I had the worst nightmare ever last night. I woke up this morning crying for a long time and even though its nighttime I still have a headache from crying so much. It's really hard to explain some of it, so I will give you guys the shortened version. Basically in my dream SLU was a kingdom, and there were tons of villagers. It started with the villagers having to work all the time and people disappearing and no one having any rights. It sucked, but only got worse. I can't explain a lot of what happened next because I can't think of the right words, but basically me, Tom, and this other little girl got captured and were sentenced to be hanged. They asked who wanted to go first, and I said I did because I knew I wouldn't be able to bear watching Tom die.

The noose wasn't like a normal one. You know how in hangings people would tie the noose around their neck and then drop and hang above the ground? Well this was different. I was standing on a plankish think (like a plank off the side of a pirate's ship) and there was water underneath me. The noose was like electrical or something and slowly tightened itself around your neck tighter and tighter until you died. I was on the plank staring at Tom and crying. I felt the noose getting tighter and tighter and I was starting to feel the circulation getting cut off. In my dream I could see through my own eyes and was staring at Tom thinking that I was actually going to die and I would never get to grow old with Tom and I would never get to have a family with him or have kids and how I had to die so young and I just love Tom so much. Then as the noose was getting tighter and tighter I could feel myself starting to die and the whole time I was just staring straight at Tom. And then I started getting really upset because I was scared there would be no after life and that those last seconds of staring at Tom was the last time I would ever be able to see him again.

Actually retelling the story now is making me emotional because the dream was so real and the emotions I felt were so real. The weird thing is that I have had such a pounding headache all day. The dream just really shook me up a lot.

9 Comments:

Blogger eat_this_corley said...

hovis, i completely agree with you about the bridge to terabithia looking like a silly fairy tale. i remember when i first read the book, that it impacted me in such a profound and intense way. it was the fist thing i have ever read (not counting "where the red fern grows") that one of the main characters died. not only did she die, but she was a young girl like me.

i know that i can't see the movie for that reason. it will just be too emotional. just wanted you to know that i feel the same way.

10:56 PM  
Blogger etepetete said...

bridge to terabithia is one of my favorites too. i think that was the first book that made me cry. I remember getting really really upset.

12:50 AM  
Blogger pipsqueak said...

Isn't it weird how dreams can shake you up like that? I've been having a lot of dreams lately (none quite that bad, though) and sometimes they put me in a really shitty mood the next day. Feel better soon, gorgeous. I love you more than curly fries.

7:35 AM  
Blogger justsuckit said...

i've never heard of bridge to terabithia. i feel so left out

10:59 AM  
Blogger Why'sTheRumGone? said...

i agree about bridge to teribithia....i used to love that book and i even re-read it last summer. haha, katie, i remember when you told me that leslie died! we were sitting at my kitchen table....that was SO LONG ago...wow. anyway, if she doesn't die in the end of the movie (i kinda think she won't because all the commercials say "heart warming" and stuff), then the people who made it missed the point of the book entirely.

11:15 AM  
Blogger porgie said...

I hate the "lets make all these books into movies so people don't have to read the books" thing that is going on in Hollywood lately. First of all, Disney needs to stop bastardizing everything that it does. Charlotte's Web? Definitely DIDN'T have to be a movie. There is a whole generation of kids who aren't going to read amazing books because their parents opted out to just go see the movie with them.

11:23 AM  
Blogger jacquelyn said...

HEY now I know she dies!

5:18 PM  
Blogger justsuckit said...

yeah, why'd you have ruin the end of a book that i'll never read?

6:12 PM  
Blogger etepetete said...

ella - i told you the end of the story? i am sorry! Why did I ruin it for you? geez, I musta been mean....
Bridge to Terabithia makes me think of all the other books we read in Mrs. Krueger's class - like Where the Red Fern Grows, and California Blue (or whatever it was called - the one with the trees cut down and the blue butterfly on the cover), and Buffalo Boy (again - the title was probably wrong - but it was the one set in vietnam about the buffalo herder and that girl...) oh man. outsiders, etc etc.... good books.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home