Marker Splotches

Ramblings of the markers

Friday, December 01, 2006

SNOW DAY!!!!

Yep, Mizzou cancelled classes for the first time in 12 years. We have over a foot of snow on the ground, and it all accumulated in about 24-36 hours. On Tuesday, I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Now I'm rocking out in my ski jacket and skipping through huge snow drifts. Anyone see the movie "Snow Day"? It's one of my favorites. Dumb as shit, but again, I like dumb movies. One of the quotes is "anything can happen on a snow day." And it's true. It has it's own magic, where time is suspended. I don't care if you're 9 and it's your first snow day, or 55 and you get work called off because your car is snowed in. Last night I had one of the best nights I've ever had at Mizzou. Of course it involved a small amount of alcohol, but none of us were drunk. We sat in a restaurant/bar watching the snowstorm out the window. And the beer just made us warmer and gave us rosy cheeks. There were no drunken falls, no slurring of words and speech. Just a couple adults savoring a beautiful night with a few drinks. On the way home we tackled each other, sledded and then collapsed into the building, eyes sparkling and smiles plastered across our faces. We all knew it was one of the best nights we've had at college. And it doesn't matter that it wasn't a huge party where someone got ass, or someone danced on a table, or almost got arrested. It was the simple act of enjoying each other's company, and then playing in the snow. Today was beautiful, but for some reason the magic of that night was diminished. Maybe everything's different at night. I woke up this morning at 9. Then I went to my computer to see if classes were cancelled, found out they were, and crawled back in bed to cuddle with someone I really care about. And it's okay that I slept all day after he left to go to work. It's okay I didn't play in the snow. Because last night was amazing. The playing in the snow, the chatting with friends, and the important conversations that touch your heart in the middle of the night. I'm having more and more of those conversations and it's making me grow as a person. Who knew that being bundled under covers in the dark would be the best location to talk about whatever's on your mind? I know that last sentence sucked, but I don't feel like changing it. Anyway, I'm extremely happy. Last night was....it was just what I needed. Thanks friends...I'll see you soon....

9 Comments:

Blogger ConditSJ said...

I feel obligated to say this, despite having a similarly awesome night of playing in the snow and watching movies with a bunch of friends last night:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

<3.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Reine said...

I had an alright night. I have to say I really have no one to play in the snow with, so instead I spend hours walking around campus taking pictures trying to capture the beauty of everything I see but it never really shows up so good in the pictures.

I miss having you Keegan to play with. I really miss you a lot. I feel like I can act like a kid again when I'm with you.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Reine said...

I was dying to sled all last night and tonight though and I'm sad I didn't get too :(

10:54 PM  
Blogger justsuckit said...

ummm....yeah. my night wasn't as interesting. i had work. but tonight will hopefully make up for it

11:36 PM  
Blogger Cajackster said...

i wanted to go sledding too...ya know like 5 days ago when the snow storm hit us out here...and everyone bitched about the cold..damn those colorado kids who are so used to snow and want to pertend to be grown up...

4:03 AM  
Blogger etepetete said...

keegs - i agree with your sentence about late night conversations bundled up in covers. those are good.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Reine said...

Carolyn I know what you mean. Most people on campus that I have met are the kind of people who think they are too "Mature" to play in the snow.

Fuck that. I will be eighty years old and sledding and having snow ball fights. You are never too old for that.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Cajackster said...

damn straight hov...

3:18 PM  
Blogger etepetete said...

haha last year, it snowed a lot and it was really fun because we had a dorm against dorm snow ball fight, which actually turned into everyone just throwing snow balls at one another and putting snow down each others shirts and pants. it was sooo much fun.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home