Marker Splotches

Ramblings of the markers

Friday, May 26, 2006

You people fucking BORE me...

...but I love you still. I agree with the shit-tastic amount of posting. I am guilty of this as well. Would anyone like to start a book club with me? I read a lot, as you well know, and I'm sure a few of you will be reading this summer (I hope.) I"ve only read two or three books so far...I'm way behind.

"The Sweet Trade" by Elizabeth Garrett.

It's about Anne Bonny and Mary Read, historical fiction. Very pirate-y, and sexual. I liked it, and read it one sitting. But that doesn't say much, seeing as I do that with every book. Moving on...

"The Torso" by Helene Tursten.

Not for the faint of heart. Mystery set in Denmark and Sweden, creepy as fuck. I liked it. But then again, I like serial killer stuff. Don't read it if you don't like serial killers. Brutal ones. And the different culture thing was also fun, seeing as the author is Swedish.

"Point blank" by Catherine Coulter.

She's one of my favorite authors, and this is her most recent in her FBI series. The series is catalogued as "romantic suspense thriller"...aka, there's sex. Thank the good lord. There's no such thing as a good murder mystery without the sex and/or love interest. This latest book wasn't as good as the others in her series, but it was still a good read. Not much sex, good on the gore, okay on the mystery, fabulous in the setting. I know that doesn't seem like a good review, but I would and will read it again. The first one in the FBI series is "The Cove" followed by "The Maze" (my all-time favorite). In this series, there are 4 or 5 really good ones, and some of them you can just skip, unless you're a nerd like me and feel compelled to read all of them in order.

That's all for right now, but I'd love anyone to post the books they're reading, with a short summary. I guess I miss the reading contest at Nerinx more than I thought....

4 Comments:

Blogger etepetete said...

aww damn. now that you mention it, i really really miss the contest. free pizza just for reading. mmmmmmm
ok anyway,
i am currently reading wicked. its pretty good. Sarah and I were talking, and we think that his writing is good, but he sometimes adds in random sexual details. We decided that he was rather horny on certain days when he was writing or something. Or maybe thats just what happens when guys write about girls etc... Anyway. Its pretty good, haven't finished it yet, so I can't tell you if it ends well. But what I have read, I liked.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

i didn't like wicked because i felt like he never developed the characters. for one thing.

i've been catching up on my easy-read fantasy, which is fun. so, you know, if you're interested in THAT, let me know.

oh, and i think it's pretentious to include discussion questions at the end of a novel (wicked). jerks.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Psyche1231 said...

yeah, i hated wicked. he's far too dark for me. yet i do appreciate nix, so maybe it's just that he didn't do it in the correct way. my friend sarah (at knox) has the same critique as you, anna, of all of his books. and i agree with you on the two that I have read.
Oh, and Katie, just so you know, the author (whose name I keep forgetting right now) is actually gay and living with his parter and three children in Massachusettes (wow, i can't spell either). which I find really interesting. not that gay people can't write about hetero couples, i just thought that wicked and confessions of an ugly step sister and lost were written by a straight guy for some of the content.
and since we are talking about books, READ "FEED" BY MT ANDERSON!!!! it's fucking amazing and you will never look at life the same way again.

6:10 PM  
Blogger matty said...

i'm currently reading "a history of pi"...decent book, though there's not really any characters to develop except for good ole pi...but yeah, if you like dorky, intellectual books, you might like it...

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home