Marker Splotches

Ramblings of the markers

Friday, May 26, 2006

For the last week or so I've been rereading a lot of the fantasy I have sitting around, and I picked up anything new my sister has. It's really cute, she actually has started a book club with her friends and they're reading all the young adult fantasy stuff, like Tamora Pierce (who I actually don't particularly like). I'm trying to push Garth Nix and Diana Wynne Jones on her cause they're just fantastic.

But anyway, I went to the library yesterday and got Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust, and two graphic novels. Of course the serious stuff is still sitting there untouched, we'll see if I actually get around to those. But the graphic novels were amazing. One was just an anthology, but the other was a full-length book - 602 freaking pages and every one of them incredible. It's called Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson. The drawings look very real to life, but cute at the same time, with really original characters. I was very easily convinced to hate the bitch and love the hero. And Keegan, it has sex in it. ;) It's about this guy who works at a bookstore, the alchoholic bitch who's his girlfriend, his adorable horny roommates and his fat best friend who can't get laid. Well, and this really annoying auxiliary plot about this old cartoonist guy who's trying to get the royalities he deserves from the Big Corporation. I skimmed those parts cause the old guy was the only character who wasn't convincingly real.

I'm really trying to track down comix that are just about normal people's lives, basically realistic fiction in drawing form. It's irritating becuase I think cartoonists are still a little self-conscious about the "not being real art" thing. Well of course they're not art like paintings- they're literature and art combined and god I love it. It's a long summer so there's lots more to come.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

tamora pierce's later work is really the better of her stuff. wesley read the will of the empress before i did, and let slip that one of the characters was a lesbian (bravo, tamora). then he was surprised when i guessed exactly who it was. come on. like daja wouldn't be anyone's pick for the lesbian.

jax, did you read across the wall by garth nix? it's short stories about a bunch of stuff, but i really enjoyed all of them.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Psyche1231 said...

hey, hey. "across the wall" is my recommendation for you and jack! you can't take that from me anna! curses on you and your young! (not that you have any.)
yeah, nix also has a new series out. i have the first one and i plan on reading it as soon as i get home. and i can check out books from borders like a library, so I will be doing lots of reading this summer. ahhhhh, i love working at a book store.
also, jack, my friend rachel read "blankets" which is a really long graphic novel which she loved. you should check it out. i want to.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home