Marker Splotches

Ramblings of the markers

Monday, April 25, 2005

Cynic or Realist?

So I found out that the fanfic I've been obsessed with is known 'net-wide' as the best fanfiction out there. The author is actually getting a book trilogy published in 2006. If anyone's curious its the Draco series by Cassandra Claire... just comforting to know that if I am wasting hours of my life reading this stuff, at least it's not considered total crap. (ps Ella -you know how none of the picture links work? I found a site with all of them! http://www.andiwaited.net/dv/)

So I've basically been reading and listening to Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright on loop... notedly NOT doing inane psych projects. I got this whole lecture on Saturday (after the lovely F for psych on my progress report) about the importance of scholastics to my progress as a human being.

You know, parents, school, etc., they're all just trying to make it easier to swallow our fate... the next forty years of our lives, for the most part used up by working to earn money.

I can't say what I'm trying to say, except that it feels bleak, really. It's hard to get out of the thinking patterns that they taught me. That all these 'choices' about careers are really a disguise for the fact that we have no choice, really. A job is a job.

And they wonder why I read books so much.

5 Comments:

Blogger Byrne Hobart said...

One of the reasons it's so good (and in my microscopic experience with fanfiction, yeah, it's the best) is that so much of it is, er, borrowed. Apparently CC was actually kicked off of Fanfiction.net for lifting entire paragraphs from other works without attribution. Whatever works (there are some pretty smart people who don't think plagiarism is nearly as much of a problem as others would have us believe).

5:09 AM  
Blogger jacquelyn said...

I can believe that. She did admit at the end of each chapter that most of the funny parts were from Buffy or something like. Despite that, I think I'm with your "pretty smart people" on this one - its not like she's costing anyone money, and even if she did steal passages, she used them better. Yea for human progress.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those who gave up their dreams will try and crush yours. It is possible to live outside "the real world". Everyone who tells you it isn't has something to gain from you never trying...

11:48 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

we spend our early years getting ready for school, most of our school years getting ready for more school, the rest getting ready for a job, the job is spent getting ready for retirement, and, as far as i can tell, retirement is spent getting ready to die.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Byrne Hobart said...

Agreed, Cake. Death better be really awesome.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home